Supporting Information for Exploring seasonal and annual nitrogen transfer and ecological response in river-coast continuums based on spatially explicit models
Here we provide the biological model equations (Text S1). In Text S2, model validation for IMAGE-GNM and ROMS are present by comparing with measured values (Figure. S2-S4). Finally, model limitation and improvements are discussed (Text S3).
Figures start with Figure S1 showing the scheme of the coupled physical–biological numerical model (ROMS) for the Taiwan Strait linking river N input from the IMAGE-GNM model. Figures S2-S4 show the model validations. Thereafter, we show the monthly precipitation and runoff in Figure S5, monthly observed river discharge and simulated total nitrogen export flux in Figure S6. Monthly simulated mean surface temperature was shown in Figure S7 and salinity in Figure S8. Then simulated surface mean surface nitrate, ammonium, Chla difference between with and without river nitrogen input are shown in Figures S9-S11, respectively. Finally, monthly mean values of key environmental factors controlling the phytoplankton growth rate were plotted in Figures S12-S14.
Table S1 show the Characteristics of the main rivers influencing the Taiwan Strait. Table S2 is a summary of estimated DIN flux by main sources to the TWS in 2001-2010. Table S3 list the correlation coefficient (r) and p value in the correlation analysis between the key environmental factor anomalies at annual scale.
Data tables S1-S3 are data supporting the conclusions.
- 2022-01-31 first online, published, posted
- Nengwang Chen acknowledges funding from the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2016YFE0202100), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 41376082; No. 41676098)
- Biogeochemical response of river-sea interface in subtropical torrential rain events (grant code 41376082) [more info...] National Natural Science Foundation of China
- The main control process of ammonia-nitrogen pollution transport in subtropical river-river interface (grant code 41676098) [more info...] National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Jia Wang acknowledges funding from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 41877515), and the Fujian Natural Science Foundation (No. 2019J01703)
- Bangqin Huang acknowledges funding from the NSFC-Fujian Joint Project (No. U1805241)
Fujian Provincial Key Laboratory for Coastal Ecology and Environmental Studies, College of the Environment and Ecology, Xiamen University, China;
School of Marine Engineering, Jimei University, China;
Utrecht University, Department of Earth Sciences.