FHC dataset underlying the publication: A Customised Down-sampling Machine Learning Approach for Sepsis Prediction
The FHC dataset was collected from patients 18 years or older from the First Hospital of Changsha, China, between 2020 and 2022. The collected data contained laboratory test values and vital signs from adult ICU patients, including 69 sepsis cases and 46 non-septic cardiovascular-disease-only cases. The laboratory tests were conducted following the routine of clinical practice. The laboratory results were collected on a daily basis. The laboratory instruments and measurements are listed in the supplementary material. The items of daily laboratory tests were used as data features. The sepsis label was given by the intensivist's suspicion of onset time following the Sepsis-3 clinical criteria. Features included in the FHC dataset contain 5 vital signs, 31 laboratory values and 4 demographic information. Vital signs collected manually by nurses include temperature (Temp), heart rate (HR), systolic blood pressure (SBP) and diastolic blood pressure (DBP).
The laboratory routine for gathering the measurement is stated as follows:
- For blood routine examination, the measurement is provided by the fully automatic blood cell analyser, Sysmex XN-2800. Specifically, the colourimetric assay is used to detect haemoglobin.
- For the electrolyte examination, it is provided by Mindray Global BS-820, which is used to detect the pH value. Specifically, the o-cresolphthalein complexone assay is used to detect the total calcium ions, and the enzymatic assay is used to detect potassium ions.
- For the liver and coagulation function examination, the enzymatic assay is used to detect bilirubin direct and bilirubin total.
- For the clotting, chromogenic, and immunologic examinations, STAGO STA-Compact provides the measurement including prothrombin time, activated partial thromboplastin time and Fibrinogen etc.
- For the blood gas analysis, a blood gas analyser, RAPIDPoint 500 System from Siemens Healthineers, is used to detect partial pressure of oxygen and partial pressure of carbon dioxide etc.
This study was conducted in accordance with the principles of the Declaration of Helsinki, and the study protocol was approved by the Ethics Review Committee of the First Hospital of Changsha ((2023) Ethic [Clinical paper] No. 1). Because of the retrospective nature of the study, patient consent for inclusion was waived.
- 2024-02-08 first online, published, posted
The First Hospital of Changsha, University of South China, Department of Critical Care Medicine;