RiverCare dataset collection
Datacite citation style:
University of Twente; Delft University of Technology; Wageningen University; Radboud University (2017): RiverCare dataset collection. Version 1. 4TU.ResearchData. collection. https://doi.org/10.4121/collection:rivercareOther citation styles (APA, Harvard, MLA, Vancouver, Chicago, IEEE) available at Datacite
RiverCare case study locations
In many deltas around the world, lowland rivers are intensively managed to meet objectives such as safety, navigation and recreation. In the meantime there is a growing awareness that rivers are natural systems and that, rather than further regulation works, the dynamic natural processes should be better utilized to reach multifunctional objectives in a dynamic world. In the Dutch Rhine river, many integrated management projects were initiated under the Room for the River government initiative, in the river itself as well as the streams. RiverCare was a research program studying the effects of innovative measures such as longitudinal training dams, side channels, removal of bank protection, re-meandering of streams, dredging/nourishment and floodplain rehabilitation. RiverCare as a whole studied the morphological, ecological and societal effects of these innovative measures to prepare our rivers for future generations. Our case studies were mainly located in the river Rhine-Lek, Waal, Meuse, IJssel and Waal. RiverCare was running between Dec 2014 and Dec 2019. It was funded by the Technology Foundation (STW) of the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO). About 20 researchers at five different Dutch universities worked in cooperation with many public and private partners. With the research and underlying datasets of the following projects, we focused on developing best practices to reduce maintenance costs and increasing the benefits of the studied river interventions.
- 2017-11-20 first online, published, posted
- 2020-07-17 revised
publisher4TU.Centre for Research Data
- [dataset] Replication Data for: Effect of non-migrating bars on dune dynamics in a lowland river
- [dataset] Replication Data for: Spatially varying environmental properties controlling observed sand wave morphology, Part 2
- [dataset] Replication Data for: Application of a Line Laser Scanner for Bed Form Tracking in a Laboratory Flume
- [dataset] Replication Data for: Bed morphodynamics at the intake of a side channel controlled by sill geometry
- [dataset] Replication Data for: Diversion of flow and sediment towards a side channel separated from a river by a longitudinal training dam
- [dataset] Replication dataset: Explaining artificial side channel dynamics using data analysis and model calculations.